Skip to main content

New Etsy Shop!

As part of my ongoing attempts to refine the things I'm making and the way these curious creations are presented, I've decided to set up a new Etsy shop http://www.etsy.com/shop/LostintheWoodDesigns . After a bit of reading about the differences between Etsy and Folksy, it's clear that Etsy has a lot more users (buyers & sellers) and I hope that may help me to get my products seen by the people they'd appeal to. While there's inevitably a lot more competition and items to wade through, I've discovered that the  things I want to focus on fit more naturally into the Etsy world than Folksy. Etsy not only has categories for crochet foods and animal heads (hurrah!), they also have lots of entries under these more niche categories. I was relieved that the process of setting up the shop was straightforwards and only subtly different from Folksy

Today I've added two new items, crochet rabbit heads. It would have been three but after writing up the listing, I found I just couldn't part with Rosey (right) who was the first bunny head I made & the one with the roundest, softest face. She'll now be given a more permanent home on one of my walls.

I'm also become fairly attached to Bettina (top pic) and Freddie (left) but worry that my house will become overrun with bunnies and so they're off to market.

I'll be making more of these very soon especially because of the cheery association of bunnies with Spring and Easter , hopefully others agree too! After considering the issue of mounting, I've decided to leave these unmounted as I think they give a more contemporary feel. They are designed as wall art with a nod to taxidermy but with a sweet, unthreatening twist.
Each head I make turns out differently due to variations in yarn, tension and the fabric used for the ears and button nose detail. Often I use little snippets of fabric found at scraps stores or given to me by nice relatives so mostly only enough for one bunny (which is one of the reasons Rosey has to stay, I can't recreate her exactly the same).

I've also started working on more intricate needle felted animal heads. I'm quite excited about using glass and acrylic eyes for the fox head I'm making, these should give the face a much more vivid look than the small black plastic eyes I've been using. Ms Fox here is destined to be mounted on a shield made of Welsh slate. More on that soon, here's a pic of her as a work in progress for now...









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joyfully Geeky Crochet- Creating a TARDIS

Creating a TARDIS (correctly using capitals now after previous admonishments by my pedantic husband) has, I can confidently declare, been my second favourite present make ever (only bested by a crocheted honeycomb frame made for my bee-keeping mother). It may indeed have a wibbly-wobbly roof (angle of the above picture is flattering!), cheerfully wandering letters on the 'police box' signs and a tendency towards a leaning base, but I am sadly very proud of my little blue box. Part of the pleasure definitely comes from anticipating the look on my brilliant Dr Who-loving friend's face as he opens the box it's travelled north in. Concerned about any misunderstanding, I've taped an 'it's not shoes!' note to the top so as to avoid even momentarily confusion when presented with a peppermint green Clarkes box. Once he fights his way through the swathes of bubble wrap (it was a big box), he'll be the wondrous owner of this mini delight. I'm thrille...

Craft Fair 1st June @ Galeri. Do Come!

The next craft fair that me and my collection of curious creatures, cakes & felty bugs will be attending is in Galeri (Caernarfon) on Saturday 1st June. It'd be lovely to have as many people as possible to come along to browse and support this new venture as all the stalls feature talented, local contemporary crafters/artists. I'm very happy to have recently joined this talented and friendly group 'Crefft Cyfoes Caernarfon', have a look at the facebook page for more about each of the artists & pics of the last fair  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crefft-Cyfoes-Caernarfon If you like, you can also follow the group on Twitter https://twitter.com/CrefftCyfoes , we'd be delighted if you do. The Rivals The troublesome cake-devouring mice will be sitting this one out as they're holidaying in Lotti & Wren's tea-party inspired window (and loving the attention, very vain mice) (Lotti&Wren ) so instead some crochet squirre...

Woolly Wonders Hit Caernarfon!

It's going to be a busy week ahead with both big and small decisions to mull over. The small being a giveaway/ competition over on the facebook page. It's almost reached 100 likes and therefore cause for a mini celebration! Now I just need to decide what is sufficiently tempting without being major extravagance, what to choose mmmm.... The large, I'll tell you about soon if it comes to fruition. Scary and exciting in almost equal measure! In other news, my work may be featured in a magazine soon. Well, 'featured' may be overselling it, but I may have a little corner to nestle in as part of an interesting article... Signpost of Flowers I hope all this has teased and tempted you dear readers (or reader, if everyone else has had a better offer). In the meantime, here's something uplifting. As regular readers will be aware, I'm a little bit obsessed with my adopted town Caernarfon & its fortunes. This weekend there's a fiesta atmosphere as Gwyl A...