Skip to main content

The Doctor's New Companion & Eisteddfod Virginity

Amelia Puddle
Hello folks, this week has been full of big announcements and much artiness! Peter Capaldi as the next Doctor has been met with cheerful warmth in our little cottage and sighs of relief that it wasn't someone alarming like the smug student from the BT ads or Shane Ritchie (as my friend upsettingly threw into the rumour mix). Our personal hopefuls were Ben Wishaw, 'Johnson' from Peep Show & Zawe Ashton (the fabulous 'Vod' from Fresh Meat) but Peter C is certainly ok by us. Even more excitingly, The Doctor's new companion was unveiled today, rather unbelievably, at the national Eisteddfod in Denbigh. As pictured, the producers requested a cut-price Amy Pond type so hurrah, it is I! I'm planning a bilingual effort after doing surprisingly well in my recent Welsh exam (most surprising perhaps to the people who have tried to chat with me 'ym Cymraeg'). Sadly, my make-me-look-cooler oversized sunglasses have broken so I'm looking more ill at ease & squinty than would have been desirable.

After the official photo call, I was at leisure to explore my first Eisteddfod. It was a bit like Edinburgh's Royal Highland Show but with no gigantic tractors, sheep shearing or excitable goats. Still, this is the best comparison I can make and it proved a good one especially as hubbie's neice & nephew did a grand job of collecting as many freebies as they could charm from stallholders. The impressive collection they amassed, reminded me of childhood days spent at the RHS with my brother on a mission to source free pens, stickers & those fuzzy pom pom creatures you can annoyingly stick to things. Sometimes those Army & Rare Breed Society pens still turn up in the backs of drawers etc.

Eisteddfod Pavilion

While various family members were participating in the singing & lecturing events, me & hubbie enjoyed the food and explored the art & crafts. We gleaned fascinating insights from Alison Craig (another Helfa Gelf artist) in the exhibition hall about a young artist's large and intricate lino print illustrating a wealth of Welsh stories and admired her intriguing sketched/printed bones. Onwards then to the Y Lle Celf (art place/tent) to admire a few works & be bewildered by many. Theresa Nguyen's breathtakingly intricate silver smithing was a highlight, all sinuous, organic beauty with clearly much skill involved. I liked Susan Adams' bizarre weeping satellite dish and pretty much loved all of the ceramic work (various artists) and I always enjoy seeing Morgan Griffith's collages (at the start of the exhibition). Here's a link to him & the other artists www.eisteddfod.org.uk/english/2013/y-lle-celf-artists Now, I don't like to be too negative (especially as in North Wales, it's possible you may meet the artists at some point) but let's say I'm off to drag old editions of the The Guardian out of the recycling bin and paint over various pages/ cut bits out. Afterwards, I'll rummage in the winter clothes drawer for some woolly gloves. We'll be regarded as hip, note-worthy artists v soon...


Also a highlight this week was the opening night of Heledd Robert's (heleddroberts.co.uk) fashion photography exhibition at Bocs Gallery in Caernarfon. With the lure of tiny cakes, free wine, opportunity of chatting to the artist and generally feeling a bit arty (without prentiousness), this was Thursday night treat. The photos are impressive especially for a young, emerging artist (she's really nice too which is always a bonus) and the gallery is pleasantly bijou and relaxing. Locals, do go and see the exhibition and support this lovely little gallery www.facebook.com/BocsCelf
Ooh, shiny new Moo business cards!

Briefly other news: a big thanks to all those attending last Saturday's craft fair @ Galeri (Caernafon). You can keep track of when the next one will be on our FB page www.facebook.com/Crefft-Cyfoes-Caernarfon or twitter @CrefftCyfoes. Lastly, I was most excited to get my new business cards delivered in time for the fair, please admire pic (humour me, my family does). Ta Da!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joyfully Geeky Crochet- Creating a TARDIS

Creating a TARDIS (correctly using capitals now after previous admonishments by my pedantic husband) has, I can confidently declare, been my second favourite present make ever (only bested by a crocheted honeycomb frame made for my bee-keeping mother). It may indeed have a wibbly-wobbly roof (angle of the above picture is flattering!), cheerfully wandering letters on the 'police box' signs and a tendency towards a leaning base, but I am sadly very proud of my little blue box. Part of the pleasure definitely comes from anticipating the look on my brilliant Dr Who-loving friend's face as he opens the box it's travelled north in. Concerned about any misunderstanding, I've taped an 'it's not shoes!' note to the top so as to avoid even momentarily confusion when presented with a peppermint green Clarkes box. Once he fights his way through the swathes of bubble wrap (it was a big box), he'll be the wondrous owner of this mini delight. I'm thrille...

Craft Fair 1st June @ Galeri. Do Come!

The next craft fair that me and my collection of curious creatures, cakes & felty bugs will be attending is in Galeri (Caernarfon) on Saturday 1st June. It'd be lovely to have as many people as possible to come along to browse and support this new venture as all the stalls feature talented, local contemporary crafters/artists. I'm very happy to have recently joined this talented and friendly group 'Crefft Cyfoes Caernarfon', have a look at the facebook page for more about each of the artists & pics of the last fair  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crefft-Cyfoes-Caernarfon If you like, you can also follow the group on Twitter https://twitter.com/CrefftCyfoes , we'd be delighted if you do. The Rivals The troublesome cake-devouring mice will be sitting this one out as they're holidaying in Lotti & Wren's tea-party inspired window (and loving the attention, very vain mice) (Lotti&Wren ) so instead some crochet squirre...

Woolly Wonders Hit Caernarfon!

It's going to be a busy week ahead with both big and small decisions to mull over. The small being a giveaway/ competition over on the facebook page. It's almost reached 100 likes and therefore cause for a mini celebration! Now I just need to decide what is sufficiently tempting without being major extravagance, what to choose mmmm.... The large, I'll tell you about soon if it comes to fruition. Scary and exciting in almost equal measure! In other news, my work may be featured in a magazine soon. Well, 'featured' may be overselling it, but I may have a little corner to nestle in as part of an interesting article... Signpost of Flowers I hope all this has teased and tempted you dear readers (or reader, if everyone else has had a better offer). In the meantime, here's something uplifting. As regular readers will be aware, I'm a little bit obsessed with my adopted town Caernarfon & its fortunes. This weekend there's a fiesta atmosphere as Gwyl A...