Skip to main content

Evie Cleans Up Her Act / (New) Parc Life

Gwen Owen painting in the Creu suntrap
It's all change at Parc Glynllifon at the moment. Our shared Creu studio has seen been transformed by Gwen Owen's efforts to ready the workshop for the current exhibition (hopefully the start of an occasional series), 'Tranquility'. Now, 'Tranquility' is a concept I've rarely experienced and don't particularly expect or strive for. However, I'm glad it evidently exists and it certainly sounds like a desirable state. Chiefly, this bijou exhibition showcases the paintings of Gwen Owen and Barbara Larkin (most of the rest of the Creu collective are on the poster because Gwen is inclusive and kindhearted). I particularly like Gwen Owen's large square canvases with vibrant, almost abstracted, floral landscapes bursting with colour and texture. Based in her coastal studio, Barbara paints mostly in oils but also employs water colours and encaustics (hot wax) and she's a very warmly welcomed guest artist.

Evie, restyled for Summer, Creu studio
Meanwhile, the rest of us have concentrated on efforts on not shaming the hard work Gwen & Barbara have put in getting the workshop ready. Until recently the workshop had a mildly chaotic post-Christmas look about it with too much ugly furniture (mine) and a big metal bin (also mine) which is a work in progress but with little sign of much progressing, except a confident sign proclaiming it so. I duly removed  these offending items. Evie (the crochet headed manniquin lady) was also delighted to finally shrug off her Autumnal wear, to emerge as a Summer Strumpet in a delicate green toga, festooned with little crochet flowers (thanks to her official Wardrobe Mistress, Mamma Cameron). She even bristled with pleasure at receiving her own little sign/ introduction at last, after a frenzy of label printing and mount board cutting (thanks to long suffering hubby, I can't cut anything in a straight line). The exhibition is open for one more weekend, 27-28th June, 11-4.30pm, so factor in a visit if you're in the area.

Irene and Edith, lovely new addition to Parc Glynllifon workshops
Also, excitingly, the newly renovated units have recently welcomed new residents who look to be injecting renewed life into the beautiful courtyard. An instant favourite for me is Irene & Edith. Named after Nichola Naylon's grandmothers, it's a lovely touch and a fun game to play yourself. Mine would have been Violet & Jenny which I kinda wish I'd thought of! More importantly, her pottery & ceramics are gorgeous with just the right kind of contemporary-vintage colours and textures. I've made a little film of the pretty studio which once I've got to grips with a new editing app, I'll hopefully share. I'm aiming to make little films of all of the new residents (if they let me, you may see a discernible improvement in my filming & editing skills by the last one!). Also injecting new vigour into the courtyard is
Llyr Erddyn Davies, a recently graduated multidisciplinary artist who looks to be doing intriguing things with man size sculptures, if you get to peak inside his arty workshop. Beth Jarvis of Fingerprint Jewellery Studio creates bespoke silver jewellery with a personalised flavour in one of the most adorable units, while the welcoming Helen (& hubby) of  Snowdonia Blue Slate Pottery are based in a gloriously light and airy top floor workshop. Acw is a collective of interesting homely crafts under a glass fronted archway.

Alas, the crochet Dragonfly pattern promised in the last blog post will have to wait. Too, too much to concentrate on right now! Next time...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joyfully Geeky Crochet- Creating a TARDIS

Creating a TARDIS (correctly using capitals now after previous admonishments by my pedantic husband) has, I can confidently declare, been my second favourite present make ever (only bested by a crocheted honeycomb frame made for my bee-keeping mother). It may indeed have a wibbly-wobbly roof (angle of the above picture is flattering!), cheerfully wandering letters on the 'police box' signs and a tendency towards a leaning base, but I am sadly very proud of my little blue box. Part of the pleasure definitely comes from anticipating the look on my brilliant Dr Who-loving friend's face as he opens the box it's travelled north in. Concerned about any misunderstanding, I've taped an 'it's not shoes!' note to the top so as to avoid even momentarily confusion when presented with a peppermint green Clarkes box. Once he fights his way through the swathes of bubble wrap (it was a big box), he'll be the wondrous owner of this mini delight. I'm thrille...

Craft Fair 1st June @ Galeri. Do Come!

The next craft fair that me and my collection of curious creatures, cakes & felty bugs will be attending is in Galeri (Caernarfon) on Saturday 1st June. It'd be lovely to have as many people as possible to come along to browse and support this new venture as all the stalls feature talented, local contemporary crafters/artists. I'm very happy to have recently joined this talented and friendly group 'Crefft Cyfoes Caernarfon', have a look at the facebook page for more about each of the artists & pics of the last fair  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crefft-Cyfoes-Caernarfon If you like, you can also follow the group on Twitter https://twitter.com/CrefftCyfoes , we'd be delighted if you do. The Rivals The troublesome cake-devouring mice will be sitting this one out as they're holidaying in Lotti & Wren's tea-party inspired window (and loving the attention, very vain mice) (Lotti&Wren ) so instead some crochet squirre...

Woolly Wonders Hit Caernarfon!

It's going to be a busy week ahead with both big and small decisions to mull over. The small being a giveaway/ competition over on the facebook page. It's almost reached 100 likes and therefore cause for a mini celebration! Now I just need to decide what is sufficiently tempting without being major extravagance, what to choose mmmm.... The large, I'll tell you about soon if it comes to fruition. Scary and exciting in almost equal measure! In other news, my work may be featured in a magazine soon. Well, 'featured' may be overselling it, but I may have a little corner to nestle in as part of an interesting article... Signpost of Flowers I hope all this has teased and tempted you dear readers (or reader, if everyone else has had a better offer). In the meantime, here's something uplifting. As regular readers will be aware, I'm a little bit obsessed with my adopted town Caernarfon & its fortunes. This weekend there's a fiesta atmosphere as Gwyl A...