Skip to main content

A New Reason to Love Caernarfon!

Slate Teapot by Dave Stephen


There's already lots of reasons to love little Caernarfon town but this week introduced a shiny new one. Just opened on Monday, Siop iard  https://www.facebook.com/iard is a lovely shop/ workshop /gallery at 7B Palace Street, Caernarfon. Artists Ann Catrin (metalwork sculpture & jewellery), Angela Evans (contemporary jewellery) and Dave Stephen (slate guru) are selling their work and you can have a peak soon at them creating in the workshop area as well. They are also very happy to chat about the current programme of crafty courses ((held at Parc Glynllifon, c.15 mins drive away) and book you in to any you're tempted by. I  first discovered I loved making things by going to various iard courses a few years ago so I highly recommend trying one (or a few) for inspiration, fun or the start of a whole new creative career! http://iard.co.uk/

Slate Cake by Dave Stephen


While, predictably I'm enjoying browsing the new jewellery, two of the things which really caught my eye on my trip there today are quirky home decorations by Dave Stephen http://www.davestephen.com/slate. I hope Dave doesn't mind that I've styled/jazzed up his slate teapot and slate cake sculptures with the liberal use of hot pink and intense blue backgrounds. I think it adds to their appeal (hope Dave agrees!). I'm really hoping that he'll make a little collection of slate crockery and cakes although I think my kitchen dresser has reached the maximum capacity of pretty things it can hold. I may have to move house and get a bigger dresser or two...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joyfully Geeky Crochet- Creating a TARDIS

Creating a TARDIS (correctly using capitals now after previous admonishments by my pedantic husband) has, I can confidently declare, been my second favourite present make ever (only bested by a crocheted honeycomb frame made for my bee-keeping mother). It may indeed have a wibbly-wobbly roof (angle of the above picture is flattering!), cheerfully wandering letters on the 'police box' signs and a tendency towards a leaning base, but I am sadly very proud of my little blue box. Part of the pleasure definitely comes from anticipating the look on my brilliant Dr Who-loving friend's face as he opens the box it's travelled north in. Concerned about any misunderstanding, I've taped an 'it's not shoes!' note to the top so as to avoid even momentarily confusion when presented with a peppermint green Clarkes box. Once he fights his way through the swathes of bubble wrap (it was a big box), he'll be the wondrous owner of this mini delight. I'm thrille...

Craft Fair 1st June @ Galeri. Do Come!

The next craft fair that me and my collection of curious creatures, cakes & felty bugs will be attending is in Galeri (Caernarfon) on Saturday 1st June. It'd be lovely to have as many people as possible to come along to browse and support this new venture as all the stalls feature talented, local contemporary crafters/artists. I'm very happy to have recently joined this talented and friendly group 'Crefft Cyfoes Caernarfon', have a look at the facebook page for more about each of the artists & pics of the last fair  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crefft-Cyfoes-Caernarfon If you like, you can also follow the group on Twitter https://twitter.com/CrefftCyfoes , we'd be delighted if you do. The Rivals The troublesome cake-devouring mice will be sitting this one out as they're holidaying in Lotti & Wren's tea-party inspired window (and loving the attention, very vain mice) (Lotti&Wren ) so instead some crochet squirre...

Woolly Wonders Hit Caernarfon!

It's going to be a busy week ahead with both big and small decisions to mull over. The small being a giveaway/ competition over on the facebook page. It's almost reached 100 likes and therefore cause for a mini celebration! Now I just need to decide what is sufficiently tempting without being major extravagance, what to choose mmmm.... The large, I'll tell you about soon if it comes to fruition. Scary and exciting in almost equal measure! In other news, my work may be featured in a magazine soon. Well, 'featured' may be overselling it, but I may have a little corner to nestle in as part of an interesting article... Signpost of Flowers I hope all this has teased and tempted you dear readers (or reader, if everyone else has had a better offer). In the meantime, here's something uplifting. As regular readers will be aware, I'm a little bit obsessed with my adopted town Caernarfon & its fortunes. This weekend there's a fiesta atmosphere as Gwyl A...