Skip to main content

Silly Summer Woolly Works

Fairly brief blog post today, just long enough to hint at silly summer crochet/ fun collaborative projects that are on the go. Above, Sootica, (the crazier of the two moggies with ears reminiscent of weird old cartoon 'Bat Fink') helpfully models my new stuffed crochet arrow. It's destiny awaits as a promo/ marketing tool for the next Caernarfon craft fair (Galeri, Sat 6th July) along with other colourful woolly things made by Little Miss Jones. Watch out for these! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crefft-Cyfoes-Caernarfon The pattern was made up as I went along and I was quite surprised & most pleased that it worked out so well. Think it might make amusing little cushions so may make a few although there's a very real danger of getting very side tracked. It was so enjoyable to be sitting outside in the sun crocheting, a real novelty that I got instantly hooked on (pun slightly intended).

Also this week, I went along to a knitting group in 'The Heights' pub in Llanberis to practise my dodgy fledgling Welsh, meet lovely new crafty people and start working on their quirky group project. There's a July deadline so there's a sense of purpose to it but not yet a sense of extreme urgency! I'm glad I made the effort to try this as I've never been to a knitting/stitch/craft group, only to various one-off workshops. I thought I was most restrained at only having a coke to drink although the thought of a gin & tonic while crafting does sound exceedingly civilised. Hope you're intrigued, will reveal more details in due course... If you knit (or crochet, I've infiltrated the group as a crocheter as my knitting is pretty lame, hopefully at some point someone there will help me master the pointy sticks) and want to get involved, its fortnightly and  new members seem to be very welcome (I was). That's me in the photo managing to co-ordinate perfectly with the accidental theme of turquoise wool. I'm not sure how the bunting etc graphics were applied to this pic but will endeavour to find out as it's fab.

Next time, I'll show you the splendid things I've been buying from some of my favourite local crafters/artists. Little pieces of loveliness...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joyfully Geeky Crochet- Creating a TARDIS

Creating a TARDIS (correctly using capitals now after previous admonishments by my pedantic husband) has, I can confidently declare, been my second favourite present make ever (only bested by a crocheted honeycomb frame made for my bee-keeping mother). It may indeed have a wibbly-wobbly roof (angle of the above picture is flattering!), cheerfully wandering letters on the 'police box' signs and a tendency towards a leaning base, but I am sadly very proud of my little blue box. Part of the pleasure definitely comes from anticipating the look on my brilliant Dr Who-loving friend's face as he opens the box it's travelled north in. Concerned about any misunderstanding, I've taped an 'it's not shoes!' note to the top so as to avoid even momentarily confusion when presented with a peppermint green Clarkes box. Once he fights his way through the swathes of bubble wrap (it was a big box), he'll be the wondrous owner of this mini delight. I'm thrille

(Anatomical) Love Is In the Air!

Crochet Anatomical Hearts by Lost In The Wood February has been set aside for a much needed catch up with the paperwork (dull but essential), a move into my new cute little studio (exciting), finishing commissions (overdue) and an exhibition piece (satisfying). However, I was a very busy little bee in January, working on some new anatomical designs (which will be a key focus for my work this year). I've started with hearts, the most appropriate bodily organ for this time of year and one of the most interesting to crochet with all it's ventricles, veins and arteries. I'm not claiming these are anatomically correct (no student of biology/ physiology should look to these as learning aids or we're all done for) but they make a reasonable attempt. Intended as large wall pieces, hang them as statement art works or nestle a smaller one under a bell jar and let them be brazen about their well crafted weirdness! They have been hanging splendidly in the Lotti & W

Bunnies Hop Into Crochet Magazine

'Love Crochet' magazine 'Love Crochet' Autumn 2013 There was thrilled excitement at Lost in the Wood cottage over the publication of my first piece of press publicity!!    'Love Crochet' magazine (Autumn 2013, issue 5) has a splendid article on craftidermy featuring some of my crochet bunny heads. I was really pleased that a lot of what I'd contributed did actually end up in the article, including the recommendations of other artists creating in other mediums such as Mister Finch's textile insects & Zoe Williams weird & wonderful needle felted creatures. It was a very small but interesting glimpse into how publications source stories and use the information provided. Hopefully it'll lead to more opportunities, especially since between us, me & my proud mother surely must have helped boost circulation of this issue! The rest of the magazine is very colourful and enjoyable too! Fittingly, this was Hector's (big grey bunn