Skip to main content

Light At The End of the Tunnel (don't think it's an oncoming train)...

MOSTYN Woolidermy Gang
Phew! It's been a hectic and crazy-tinged three weeks and I'm feeling pretty relieved & pleased to have made it to the other side of four hefty deadlines!  Hence my (slightly misquoted) 'Half Man Half Biscuit' song lyric as the title. What woolly nonsense have you been up to I hear you ask? (just pretend you did). Well, work has been safely delivered to MOSTYN gallery shop (Llandudno), a bounty of woolidermy heads, crochet mince pies and clementines. I'm looking forwards to going to see them in-situ soon & admire their Christmas window display.
Llandudno Alice
Llandudno White Rabbit
Also appealing is the mission to find the remaining carved wooden Alice in Wonderland figures that are dotted around nearby. I've already encountered scary Alice & dandy White Rabbit and I've been reliably informed that a loony Mad Hatter & Queen of Hearts lurk out there too.

'Winter Wonderland' Woolidermy Gang
Next, I crocheted up six animal heads for the forthcoming 'Winter Wonderland' exhibition at Rhyl Library Gallery (opens 16th November, runs to 11th January). Big, bold Vixen will be in charge of Comet, Dasher Ruby, Hamish & Rory to make sure they don't cause any trouble at the gallery. I'll be going along to the preview this Friday to give them some moral support & stern warnings of having fun but not too much fun. On Wednesday, I arrived at Oriel Ynys Mon (Llangefni, Anglesey) in a flurry of furniture, woolly bunting and twigs to set up my stand at the 'Winter Treasures Craft Fair'. Initially slightly intimidated at how lovely & grand the exhibition
room looked with it's white partition walls and marked out spaces it quickly occurred to me that my little stand could be catapulted into looking like it belonged there with a careful positioning of my fab Air Ambulance chest of drawers & gilded mirror (it's the best shop for lovely vintage furniture) & a sweet little borrowed dresser.
'Winter Treasures' ' Oriel Ynys Mon
Twigs found in a Caernarfon park were dressed with mini mince pies and felty birds and Mum's splendid bunting topped off the whole thing in suitably jolly fashion. It was with some alarm that we realised (supportive hubby had been roped in for this occasion) that the partition wall we'd been merrily hammering nails into housed large mirrors on the other side, thankfully all still intact! I'll be going along this week to add a reindeer head and a pile of mince pies etc to the scene. The making madness was crowned at last weekend by my first foray into fairs beyond the Wall (North Wales, I've been watching too much Game of Thrones, clearly). Accompanied by a ludicrously large & heavy suitcase (for a hobbit sized person like me) I trekked off to London and the delights of the Renegade Craft Fair.
A big event stuffed full of quality, quirky contemporary makers in a spacious disused brewery in Brick Lane, this was exactly the sort of event I want to go to as a consumer so I was very pleased to be amongst such great company.There were so many highlights of the weekend that I'll cover this in another blog post as this one's already a bit unwieldy. Please have a read as there's lots I want to share!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Joyfully Geeky Crochet- Creating a TARDIS

Creating a TARDIS (correctly using capitals now after previous admonishments by my pedantic husband) has, I can confidently declare, been my second favourite present make ever (only bested by a crocheted honeycomb frame made for my bee-keeping mother). It may indeed have a wibbly-wobbly roof (angle of the above picture is flattering!), cheerfully wandering letters on the 'police box' signs and a tendency towards a leaning base, but I am sadly very proud of my little blue box. Part of the pleasure definitely comes from anticipating the look on my brilliant Dr Who-loving friend's face as he opens the box it's travelled north in. Concerned about any misunderstanding, I've taped an 'it's not shoes!' note to the top so as to avoid even momentarily confusion when presented with a peppermint green Clarkes box. Once he fights his way through the swathes of bubble wrap (it was a big box), he'll be the wondrous owner of this mini delight. I'm thrille

(Anatomical) Love Is In the Air!

Crochet Anatomical Hearts by Lost In The Wood February has been set aside for a much needed catch up with the paperwork (dull but essential), a move into my new cute little studio (exciting), finishing commissions (overdue) and an exhibition piece (satisfying). However, I was a very busy little bee in January, working on some new anatomical designs (which will be a key focus for my work this year). I've started with hearts, the most appropriate bodily organ for this time of year and one of the most interesting to crochet with all it's ventricles, veins and arteries. I'm not claiming these are anatomically correct (no student of biology/ physiology should look to these as learning aids or we're all done for) but they make a reasonable attempt. Intended as large wall pieces, hang them as statement art works or nestle a smaller one under a bell jar and let them be brazen about their well crafted weirdness! They have been hanging splendidly in the Lotti & W

Medieval Medicine Trending- Leeches Are Sucking Back!

Poison & Crochet Leeches Jars Thought it was time for a more crochet centred post as I seem to have been distracted my lovely summer events and activities recently (I'm not sorry). This morning I was inspired by this story on BBC Wales www.bbc.co.uk/Medicinal leech farming making a comeback in Wales Istanbul Leeches Apparently,"leech-farming is back in Wales... the 60,000 leeches a year they provide for hospitals throughout Europe make Swansea's Biopharm the biggest suppliers of leeches in the UK." Long associated with quack medicine, they actually introduce a powerful anticoagulant chemical into blood making them "perfect for microsurgery, particularly when severed fingers or toes have been reattached".  So far, my only sighting of real leeches was an odd spin on the imagined old glass bottled leeches (previously available in all good old apothecaries). I spotted a large plastic drum (a recycled water cooler I suspected) of leeches for hi